Those who have even the lightest pain under right rib cage should not take it lightly if the pain does not subside within a short period of time. The most common reason for such pain could be because of an injury which could be mild or severe. There could also be other serious diseases which could be the underlying factor for pain under right rib cage. Sometimes you could be in a state of confusion because the pain could either move between the right and left hand sides.
Hence it is very important for you to try and pinpoint the actual spot from where the pain originates. However, it has been generally found that pain under right rib cage is because of fewer numbers when compared to pain under left rib cage. Let us now try and find out some of the common causes and reasons for various types of right rib cage pain. Inflammation of cartilage is one of the most common reasons for pain in many parts of the body and the same applies here too. The cartilage is situated between the ribs and the breastbone and any injury or trauma to it can cause moderate to severe pain under right rib cage.
There is no denying the fact that ribs are bony structures and fracture of the same could be one of the main reasons for such pains. The best way to identify such pains is to have an x-ray done which could help diagnose and pinpoint the exact nature and location of such fractures. Liver disease could also be an important reason for pain under right rib cage and it is something that should be taken very seriously because if neglected it could become lift threatening. Hence it is very important to first find out the main reason for such pain under right rib cage and only then should treatment commence.
Is Pain Under Right Rib Cage An Alarming Concern?
General Causes of Pain under Right Rib Cage
More often than not, pain under right rib cage is not because of serious ailments. Nevertheless, if the pain becomes persistent; it will require medical attention. There are a number of reasons for having pain under right rib cage. Some of the general causes that promote
pain under the rib cage include:
• Ectopic pregnancy that occurs in the right fallopian tube can create persistent pain. Ectopic pregnancy happens when the fertilization takes place in the fallopian tube instead in the uterus. This condition can be resolved through a surgical termination of the pregnancy in order to prevent any complications.
• Inflammation of the pancreas is called pancreatitis, which can be a cause of a pain under right rib cage. It should be noted that the pancreas is in charge for the secretion of digestive juices that help in the process of digesting the food that we eat. However, when the digestive juices attack and injure the tissues, which produce the enzymes, a disease called pancreatitis occurs. Once a person develops pancreatitis, pain under right rib cage that may travel to the back will be experienced.
• An inflamed appendix can also cause pain in the rib cage. Our appendix is a sac-like structure that looks like a tube which expands from the large intestines. The size of our appendix is about ten centimetres in length and is positioned between the big and small intestines. When our appendix gets blocked or infected, swelling will occur and cause tremendous pain under right rib cage. Medical intercession and removal through surgery of the inflamed appendix is badly needed before the appendix raptures.
• Gallstones that have formed in the gallbladder may cause the pain in the rib cage. The gallstones are formed when bile in the gallbladder becomes hard and form like tiny stones.
• A severe injury due to an accident may cause serious pain in the right rib cage. To determine the actual location of the injured rib, an x-ray should be done.
• Pain under right rib cage will also be experienced is the liver is damaged. The liver is a very critical part of the body. It functions as a regulator of chemical in the blood, produces bile that breaks down fats and works as the processor of our blood. Therefore, any damage or disease in the liver will definitely cause pain in our body.
Other Symptoms Related with Pain under Right Rib Cage
Pain under right rib cage can come with numerous other symptoms that will depend on a particular case. Bloody vomit, bloody stools, and high temperature possibly due to gastrointestinal tract disease or food poisoning can worsen the pain. Diarrhea, nausea, rectal bleeding, and pelvic inflammatory diseases are possible causes of pain in the rib cage and abdomen. Although these pains are not necessarily life-threatening, they should not be ignored as well. Any persistent pain should be immediately referred and reported to a doctor for proper and accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Recommended Treatment for Pain under Right Rib Cage
In all honesty, there is no particular treatment for pain under right rib cage. This is because the treatment will largely depend upon the prevailing condition which caused the rib cage pain. For minor cases of rib cage pains, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines or painkillers can be prescribed to ease the pain. However, to ensure that no other complications will occur and that the pain is addressed properly; it is advised that a doctor should be consulted for proper diagnosis, treatment and relief methods. Some form of therapy and exercise can also help eliminate the pain. Nonetheless, before engaging in any type of therapy or exercise, you should first consult your health provider or your physician in order to avoid further damage and pain to your existing condition. Any kind of pain, whether it is pain under the right cage or abdomen, it should not be taken lightly. Everybody should take care of their health and their body.