What causes pain under left rib cage? There could be many reasons. Though many people tend to get panicky whenever they come across such a pain, it may not be a reason to worry or panic. Most of the pains which occur under the left rib cage could be due to acidity or what is referred to as acid reflux in medical parlance. This is usually caused due to excess consumption of spicy and other oily foods which could trigger an increased amount acid secretion.
This acid when it pushes out of the esophagus often leads to pain under left rib cage which is commonly mistaken as chest pain. Spleen is another organ of the body, irritation or rupture of which can cause moderate to severe pains as mentioned above. Flatulence or gas in the colon could also be a cause of such pain. This is better known in medical terminology as splenic-flexure syndrome. This happens when gas travels upwards. The best solution would be to sit in an arm chair and try to move out the gas through the rectum which will provide instant relief.
There are a number other such reasons which could be a contributory factor for pain under left rib cage. Stomach ulcers, broken ribs, pneumothorax or collapsing of lungs due to rupture of the lung membrane could be other causes for such pain in the rib cage. Irritable bowel syndrome could also be a major reason for pain under left rib cage. Hence it is very important to identify the exact starting point of the pain so that a proper and accurate diagnosis could be made. However, even the lightest pain as described above should not be neglected or taken or granted. While for all you know such pain under left rib cage could be for some simple and common reasons, it is better to be on guard all the time.
Do You Know Why It Is Crucial To Know The Causes of Pain Under Left Rib Cage?
What Causes Pain under Left Rib Cage?
The rib cage is also known as thoracic cavity, which is a region that is susceptible to accidents and injury. Rib cage covers the chest muscles by sustaining the shoulder girdle. It encloses a large number of important organs and occurrence of pains in this area can be caused by any underlying medical concern of these organs. However, it should be noted that not all pains occurring in the rib cage means a serious medical concern. Obtaining proper understanding of the causes of pain under left rib cage and the surrounding regions are helpful in determining if the pain is negligible concern or is a medical emergency.
Actually, there are numerous reasons for a person to experience pain under left rib cage. Reasons could be because of severe illnesses, injuries, or some connected issues. Some of the most common causes of having pain under your rib cage may include:
- Rapture or irritation of the spleen can cause tremendous discomfort and pain under left rib cage. If you experience pain in the tip of your left shoulder, it is an added sign that your spleen is damaged or ruptured.
- Acid reflux or heartburn is a usual cause of pain under left rib cage. This condition is contributed by eating foods and drinks that contain too much acid. The pain is described as a prickly and oftentimes mistaken as chest pain. Due to lack of stomach acid to digest the food, you may experience a feeling of being bloated.
- Costochondritis is a condition resulting from an infection of the cartilages, which connects the ribs with the breastbone. Oftentimes, this is a result of a strong impact of the rib cage and shoulder or because of viral infection. When this occurs, you will feel an extreme unbearable pain near the breastbone while you breathe heavily. Many people mistaken this disease with heart attack due to the pain that erupts under the breastbone. This condition can be diagnosed through physical examination to make sure that you are out of risk.
- Splenic-flexure syndrome or gas in the colon occurs when excessive quantity of gas is trapped in the colon that can cause pain under left rib cage. If you suffer from this type of pain, you should sit in a chair to eliminate the air trapped in the colon. A way to prevent having air trapped in the colon is to avoid eating foods that cause indigestion.
- A sharp pain under left rib cage can be a sign of stomach ulcers. The pain can extend from the rib cage to the shoulder blade region. The pain many pass for only short period or repeat in intervals depending on how grave the condition is.
Other circumstances that may cause pain under left rib cage may include pancreatitis, pneumothorax, broken rib, intestinal infection, dissection of the abdominal aorta and diverticulitis.
Common Treatment of Pain under Left Rib Cage
Since there is a wide range of possibilities that can cause pain under left rib cage, treatment of this type of pain could be complicated. Some situations such as muscle inflammation can be eliminated with pain killers while broken ribs will require emergency medical treatment. Surgery is required for ruptured spleen and medications such as Esomeprazole or Lansoprazole is administered to people with heartburns or acid reflux. IBS and constipation caused under rib cage pain can be treated with laxatives and high-fiber diet.
Pains in the rib cage areas commonly caused by forceful impact or external injury that result to damages on some internal organs. Do you know that broken ribs can produce excruciating pain in the rib cage? Likewise, a pain under left rib cage can be a symptom of a disease or ailment that affects the organs located in the left part of the rib cage. The severity of the pain and the intensity of risks involved in your condition will determine the urgency of seeking medical assistance. However, if persistent pains are being experienced or you sustain injuries within the rib cage, you should seek emergency medical support immediately.